High school: Siloam Springs High School | Age: 21 | Where I trained: Career Academy of Siloam Springs and an Industrial Maintenance Apprenticeship at Simmons Dry Pet Food | What I earned: Industrial Maintenance License and on-the-job training | Job title: Maintenance Technician | Employer: Simmons Dry Pet Food in Decatur
What does a maintenance technician do?
Maintenance technicians perform preventative maintenance on the equipment in a plant or factory. They troubleshoot and repair equipment that has failed at the production line or in the shop. Maintenance technicians also give feedback on schedules, parts and supplies to improve accuracy and make things run smoothly.
“Not many of my peers can start up an engine room after a shutdown, replace a forklift mast or change out drive motors, test a motor to see if it is good, or drive industrial equipment.” – Ashley
• Maintain work equipment or machinery.
• Disassemble equipment for maintenance or repair.
• Enter work orders for deficiencies found during the project management process.
• Troubleshoot and repair equipment.
• Attend machine-/OEM-specific training courses.
• Be an agent of safety and quality.
• Give feedback to ensure the plant or factory runs as smoothly as possible.
• Assist with assembly, start-up and shutdown of equipment.
Expected growth from 2016 to 2026 in Arkansas.
Annual projected job openings in Arkansas.
Jobs in Arkansas by 2026.
"Maintenance is a career path that will always exist, and the shortage of qualified people make it easy to drive your career." – Ashley
High-end earners in Arkansas (top 10%) make
Median wages in Arkansas
START YOUR TRAINING
READY TO HIRE YOU
|ABB Motors & Mechanical Inc.|
|Arkansas Electric Cooperatives|
|L'Oreal Maybelline Co.|
|McKee Foods Corporation|
|Simmons Foods, Inc. & Affiliates|