High school: Gentry High School Conversion Charter | Age: 19 | Where I trained: Diesel Technician Program through Gentry High School Conversion Charter and on-the-job training at McKee Foods Corporation | What I earned: Certificate in Heavy Duty Truck Technology | Job title: Truck Technician | Employer: McKee Foods Corporation in Gentry
What does a diesel technician do?
Diesel technicians inspect, maintain, repair and care for diesel engines. Some diesel technicians specialize in a specific type of vehicle. When commercial transportation has malfunctions, they diagnose the problems and find solutions.
“Every day is not the same thing over and over again. There is always something new to learn. I am able to apply the things I know and find my own ways of completing a job.” - Nick
• Inspect and drive vehicles to troubleshoot problems.
• Use diagnostic equipment and interpret results.
• Perform routine maintenance such as changing the oil and aligning the wheels.
• Repair any malfunctions in the equipment or replace parts.
• Communicate with customers.
• Utilize charts to plan work procedures.
• Tire repair.
• Clutch adjustment or replacement.
• Perform wheel end maintenance and repair.
Expected growth from 2016 to 2026 in Arkansas.
Average annual job openings in Arkansas.
Jobs in Arkansas by 2026.
"There is always something new to learn. I am able to apply the things I know and find my own ways of completing a job. I can level up by getting certain certifications and meeting requirements to do so. Once I become a ‘topped out’ technician, there are supervisor positions." –Nick on upward mobility
High-end earners in Arkansas (top 10%) make
Median wages in Arkansas
START YOUR TRAINING
READY TO HIRE YOU
|Arkansas Electric Cooperatives|
|Arkansas Trucking Association|
|McKee Foods Corporation|
|Simmons Foods Inc. & Affiliates|
|Union Pacific Railroad|