Where I trained: Arkansas State University–Beebe
Where I earned: Associate degree in computer-aided drafting and design
Job title: CAD drafter
Employer: Julian & Sons of Heber Springs
Whitney Brandon brings customers’ visions to life every day by designing their dream cabinetry as a CAD drafter. Whitney chose this career path because it allows her to tap into her creative side while helping people bring their desired projects to life. Her daily routine includes taking a concept that had been drawn on paper and putting it into AutoCad, which creates a visual for the customer to approve. Once the proof is approved, she then places the individual cabinets into iX for a 3D drawing.
Training enabled Whitney to jump into her career in just two years and gain invaluable experience. Whitney says that because Julian & Sons is an international company, her work can be seen worldwide. Whitney also likes that her job gives her the opportunity to make a customer’s dream turn into a reality. “I like that I get to make customers’ dream cabinets come to life,” she says. “I get to see a whole room come to life on my screen and see how it would be enjoyed.”
"One of the many benefits of this program is the much shorter duration — at only two years of study — while leading to the same certification that many bachelor’s degree holders obtain." –Whitney
WHAT DOES A CAD DRAFTER DO?
CAD drafters bring concepts to life by creating a visual for customers through AutoCad. After concepts are approved, the drafter puts the individual cabinets into iX for a 3D drawing. From this, blueprints and cut-lists are created for the shop. A CAD drafter can do much more than cabinetry. They are involved in many types of projects, from house plans and major department store layouts, to aeronautics.
- Create accurate renderings of customer ideas
- Meet with the shop foreman, CAD designer and installers to answer any questions
- Verify that the installation will work efficiently
Education needed: Associate degree in computer-aided drafting and design
► 330 jobs in Arkansas by 2028
► 30 average annual job openings in Arkansas
High-end earners in Arkansas (top 10%) make
Median wages in Arkansas
START YOUR TRAINING
• Arkansas State University–Beebe
• Arkansas State University–Mountain Home
• Arkansas State University–Newport
• Arkansas Tech University–Ozark
• East Arkansas Community College
• National Park College
• Simmons Foods
• University of Arkansas Community College at Batesville
• University of Arkansas Community College at Morrilton
• University of Arkansas-Pulaski Technical College
READY TO HIRE YOU
• ABB Motors & Mechanical Inc.
• Central Moloney Inc.
• McGeorge Contracting Company
• McKee Foods Corporation
• Pace Industries
• Simmons Foods