Hometown: Springdale | Age: 22 | Where I trained: Four-year plumbing apprenticeship with Kimbel Mechanical Systems | What I earned: On-the-job training | Job title: Apprentice Plumber | Employer: Kimbel Mechanical Systems in Springdale
What does a plumber do?
Plumbers install, maintain and repair water systems in homes and businesses. They install pipes that carry the liquids or gases, and they upgrade and repair existing systems. “We get a real world, hands-on experience,” Martin says. “[I] get the chance to learn how to operate machinery such as an excavator.”
Plumbers enjoy incredibly high job security. Martin’s job will never be outsourced or eliminated, because as long as there are pipes and drains, the world will need plumbers.
• Diagnose malfunctions, determine the materials needed and prepare a cost estimate.
• Install pipes that can carry water, steam, air or waste.
• Ensure that all systems and equipment meets safety standards and building codes.
• Install fixtures like sinks and tanks.
• Resolve plumbing problems.
• Cut into infrastructure such as walls or ceilings to make room for the pipes and fixtures.
"With how big the company is, we have the option to work out of state and travel to different locations while we work." – Martin, on why he loves his job
Expected growth from 2016 to 2026 in Arkansas.
Average annual job openings in Arkansas.
Jobs in Arkansas by 2026.
High-end earners (top 10%) make
Median wages in Arkansas
START YOUR TRAINING
|Arkansas Construction Education Foundation|
|College of the Ouachitas|
|National Park College|
|NorthWest Arkansas Community College|
READY TO HIRE YOU
|Kimbel Mechanical Systems|
|L'Oreal Maybelline Co.|
|McKee Foods Corporation|
|Simmons Foods, Inc. & Affiliates|
Sources: Bureau of Labor Statistics and CareerOneStop.org