Name: Miguel Lopez
Hometown: Guadalajara, Mexico
Alma mater: Barret School of Banking, Memphis
Major: Bachelor's in political science, Master's in public administration
Job Title: SVP, Chief Community Outreach Officer
Major: Encore Bank
I had no idea I wanted to be a banker. All I knew was that I wanted to help people. Helping is my why, banking is my how.
Why should teens consider a career like yours?
Banking is a very rewarding career. You get to touch so many people in so many positive ways.
What would people most be surprised to know about your job?
That it’s very fun and rewarding.
What’s your job like?
Having drive is key. If you have the motivation, new skills will be picked up quicker; you will get better.
What natural abilities do you think someone should have to succeed in this field?
Great communication skills, critical thinking and a great ability to adapt. With a good education, and a strong work ethic, you can become whatever you want to be.
How do you feel about this statement: “I can't work in a financial role because I'm not good at (or I hate) math.”
Math is not my strong suit, but banking is so much more than numbers. It’s a lot about being able to develop and foster meaningful relationships.
Did you have a financial role model?
Grant Gordy, my former boss, saw something in me that I never saw: a banker. He gave me my first bank job and altered the course of my life forever. Also, my current boss Erin Simpson, her heart for doing good and her unmatched work ethic inspire me each day.
"Math is not my strong suit, but banking is so much more than numbers.” – Miguel
6 Other Banking Jobs You Didn’t Know Existed
1. Content Strategist: develops creative content to energize the bank brand
2. Relationship Banker: responsible for expanding and retaining existing client relationships while providing an exceptional client experience
3. Fraud Investigator: responsible for monitoring potential fraudulent activity in ATM use, online banking and bill pay, in retail spending related to debit cards, and in P2P payments including Zelle
4. Data Analyst: determines best practices and policies for a bank to function efficiently
5. Learning Generalist: responsible for creating learning materials and delivering learning solutions across the organization
6. Physical Security Specialist: responsible for facilitating various physical security processes, procedures and projects across the bank